Monday, January 17, 2011

Goals 2011

For some reason I have had difficulty writing this post, preferring to paint or do any number of other things first (watch 30 Rock reruns - That's important, right?). In other words, procrastinate. Usually I love love love writing up goals and lists (!) but for some reason, this year is different.

A bit of fear seems to be hanging out like a little cartoon cloud over my head, and I've felt anxious. Change can do that to you, it seems. With switching my day job and cutting my hours, comes the voice. Lots of people have that small voice of self doubt that creeps up and tells you that no matter what it is you want to do, there is no way you can succeed. That it's impossible and you can't have *insert hearts desire here*. Lately, every day I need to prop myself up and get rid of the negative voice telling me every sort of pessimistic thing. They are always super melodramatic things like: I will never sell another painting in my life, or I will never have another solo show, and on and on. With much effort, I have quit eating my weight in cookies, gathered my determination, replaced the negative with a positive outlook, and have prepared my goals for the upcoming year. They are as follows:

Art-Related


Create:
  • small paintings - 65
  • medium paintings - 45

  • large paintings - 20

  • extra large - 5
My goal is to basically triple last years number. I would like to create 130 new paintings for 2011. I'm not going to get too hung up on the exact number of what size paintings I create, these are just some guidelines for reference.

Business-Related

  • Send out a large (researched) mailing of brochure/cover letter packets

  • Send out emailed submissions from researched list

  • Update mailing list quarterly

  • Schedule at least 1 solo show for 2012

  • Have at least 100 large postcards ordered for April

  • Have new brochure designed

  • Have new brochure printed quarterly, as needed

  • Have 50 business cards printed, more as needed

  • Update website at least once a week with new paintings and current events

  • Update blog at least once a week

  • Update Etsy site weekly

  • Enter 2 "good" juried shows within the year

  • Overhaul my record-keeping system for inventory
My focus this year will be mostly on production of new work and finding a gallery. I want to push my art-making as much as possible. It would be nice to see a quicker progression in the work, and the only way to improve is to paint, paint, paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...