Monday, May 11, 2009

"Emerging Artists" @ State Museum

Usually I try not to put too much emphasis on getting or not getting into a juried exhibit. After all, it's only one person's opinion of your work. But I have to say - I'm really thrilled to have gotten into the Emerging Artists exhibition at the newly renovated State Museum in Charleston, WV. (For renovation pics see here -> http://www.wvculture.org/museum/renovate.html ) I saw the "Congratulations" printed on my letter and immediately began jumping around. I have never shown work in a museum - it really does feel great!

It will be the first show at the new Commissioner's Gallery. The reception is Wednesday, July 1, 2009 but I have the day job to work, so I might not be able to make it down to Charleston, as much as I would like to. The show was juried by painter Allison Leigh Smith of Scottsdale, Arizona. For more info about Allison see here: http://www.allisonleighsmith.com/news/index.html

Thanks, Allison!

3 comments:

  1. congratulations! what great news!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren!
    You're welcome! And congratulations! I am so thrilled that you are thrilled. Your work held up very strongly amongst the large group submitted. You should be proud. I am glad to hear your healthy skepticism on juried shows. Indeed, one person's opinion will not make your career, but every once and awhile, it can make your day.
    Take the day off, take a friend, and attend the opening. If art is what you really want to do, then honor yourself, your accomplishment and go. When you look back, you will not miss that day of work.
    Smiling at you,
    Allison Leigh Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison,

    Wow, was I shocked to see your comment! Thanks so much - I really appreciate your kind words and, you know what, I think I will take the day off and attend the reception. You have made my day once more...

    Thanks again and take care,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...